Multi-modal pain management was discussed with an agreement to try and achieve the following:
1. Manage the stump pain to allow the patient to wear the prosthesis
2. Manage the Phantom Pain
3. Address the post-traumatic stress disorder
4. Address anxiety and depression
5. Address current high dose opiate usage and optimise medication
6. Return back to a level of fitness to improve mobility
7. Return back to work
Mr S agreed to engage with specialist physiotherapy and occupational therapist members of the pain team. He also underwent an assessment with a Clinical Psychologist and agreed to work both on improving pain coping strategies and the post traumatic stress disorder. It was also agreed that he would self-refer to the Well Being Service in light of the high levels of anxiety and depression. Although Mr S had never sough medical help prior to the accident he did admit to having had bouts of self-managed depression in the past and also did suffer from anxiety although he had managed to function despite this.
- What types of specific therapy may be of benefit to Mr S?