Case of the Month #25: Procedural pain management in children by Dr Eveline Matthews
- Brown NJ, Kimble RM, Gramotnev G, Rodger S, Cuttle L. Predictors of re-epithelialization in pediatric burn. Burns. 2014;40(4):751-8.
- van Meijel EPM, Gigengack MR, Verlinden E, van der Steeg AFW, Goslings JC, Bloemers FW, et al. The Association Between Acute Pain and Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms in Children and Adolescents 3 Months After Accidental Injury. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2019;26(1):88-96.
- Rabbitts JA, Fisher E, Rosenbloom BN, Palermo TM. Prevalence and Predictors of Chronic Postsurgical Pain in Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Pain. 2017;18(6):605-14.
- Holbert MD, Kimble RM, Jones LV, Ahmed SH, Griffin BR. Risk factors associated with higher pain levels among pediatric burn patients: a retrospective cohort study. Regional Anesthesia &amp; Pain Medicine. 2020:rapm-2020-101691.
- Moline RL, McMurtry CM, Noel M, McGrath PJ, Chambers CT. Parent–child interactions during pediatric venipuncture: Investigating the role of parent traits, beliefs, and behaviors in relation to child outcomes. Canadian Journal of Pain. 2021;5(1):151-65.
- Gillum M, Huang S, Kuromaru Y, Dang J, Yenikomshian HA, Gillenwater TJ. Nonpharmacologic Management of Procedural Pain in Pediatric Burn Patients: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Burn Care Res. 2022;43(2):368-73.
- Shiferaw A, Mola S, Gashaw A, Sintayehu A. Evidence-based practical guideline for procedural pain management and sedation for burn pediatrics patients undergoing wound care procedures. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2022;83:104756.
- Kanagasundaram SA, Lane LJ, Cavalletto BP, Keneally JP, Cooper MG. Efficacy and safety of nitrous oxide in alleviating pain and anxiety during painful procedures. Arch Dis Child. 2001;84(6):492-5.
- Heikal S, Stuart G. Anxiolytic premedication for children. BJA Educ. 2020;20(7):220-5.
- Chambers CT. It Doesn't Have to Hurt Halifax, Canada: Centre for Peditric Pain Research; 2023 Available at: https://itdoesnthavetohurt.ca